Airport Fast Facts
Air service in and out of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is exceptional. CLT ranks sixth nationwide based on operations and is the 10th busiest airport in the nation based on passenger totals. More than 46.4 million passengers traveled through CLT in 2018. That also makes CLT the 32nd-busiest airport worldwide based on passenger totals and seventh worldwide for total operations.
CLT was awarded the prestigious Eagle Award by International Air Transport Association (IATA) for best airport in the world in 2010. The airport’s largest airline, American Airlines earned accolades in 2017 as the ATW Airline of the Year, the Freight Transport Association’s Cargo Airline of the Year, and the Freddie Award’s Best Elite Program for its AAdvantage program. CLT’s fixed-base operator Wilson Air Center handles 80 flights a day and has been ranked the No. 1 Best Small U.S. FBO Chain by Professional Pilot magazine four years in a row.
CLT is a major driver of the Charlotte region’s economy, generating more than $16.2 billion in economic impact for the area’s economy and $23 billion in economic activity throughout the state of North Carolina, according to the airport’s most recent study. Destination CLT, a $2.5 billion renovation and construction campaign, will bring the airport expanded concourses, terminals and a fourth parallel runway over the next 10 years. For more details on the Destination CLT capital improvement plan, visit this page.
- Sixth busiest in North America by total aircraft movements (553,857 takeoffs and landings)
- Seventh busiest in the world by total aircraft movements
- 12th busiest in North America by total passengers (46.4 million in 2018)
- 32nd busiest worldwide by total passengers
- Major Airlines: 9
- Number of daily flights: 700+
- Nonstop service to 175 destinations, including 33 international destinations
- Wilson Air Center is home to the fleets of six Fortune 500 companies
Visit CLT's website for the most up-to-date information.